In 1922 Loma Linda University and the University of Southern California shared the supervision of the urological teaching service at Los Angeles County General Hospital. The LLU (formerly College of Medical Evangelists) faculty at that time included A.B. Cecil, Tracey Powell, Ben Massey, Clyde Collings, Earl Nation, Estin Comarr, and Harold Edelbrock. A urology medical student clerkship was begun under the direction of Robert Day. The participating faculty consisted of Arthur Cecil, Herbert Rosenkranz, Roger Barnes, Earl Burk, Adolf Kutzman, George Schenck, Granville MacGowan, and Chester McKay.
The school of medicine section of urology was organized in 1932 under the leadership of Roger W. Barnes. White Memorial Hospital was the parent institution, with Rancho Los Amigos Hospital and Riverside County Hospital as affiliates. R. Theodore Bergman was appointed as the first urology resident. He completed his training in 1935.
In 1942, Roger Barnes was appointed chief of the section of urology and remained in that position until 1966. The voluntary teaching staff at that time included Elmer Belt, Ben Massey, Henry Bodner, Royal Bandolier, Theodore Bergman, and Thomas LeValley.
In 1966, the clinical division of Loma Linda University School of Medicine was moved to the Loma Linda campus. Dr. Henry Hadley was appointed chief of the division and held the position from 1966 to 1990. Dr. Roger Hadley was appointed chief of urology in 1990. He served as chief of the division until January 2003 when he was appointed dean of the School of Medicine. Dr. Herbert C. Ruckle was appointed chief of urology in January 2003 and continues in that capacity.
In 1972, a new residency program was approved by the ACGME and started with one resident. Riverside County Hospital remained an affiliate hospital. In 1978, construction of a 600-bed Veteran's Administration hospital was completed and became an affiliate of the residency program. One year later, San Bernardino County Hospital was also approved as another affiliate hospital. Beginning in 1986, the residency program was approved by the ACGME to accept two residents per year.
Approximately half of the last ten chief residents have been accepted into fellowship programs, and former residents are now serving in fifteen different countries.
Currently, there are seven full-time faculty members in the section of urology and all of the major urology subspecialties are represented. These include female urology, male infertility and impotence, urinary calculi, pediatric urology, minimally invasive urologic surgery, and urologic oncology. The division of urology has authored multiple scientific papers and textbook chapters during the past 10 years. Research projects regarding prostate cancer, robotic surgery, renal ischemia, kidney cancer, and bio engineering of urology instruments are ongoing. Several continuing medical education courses have been directed by the division of urology and have been attended by urologists from various areas of the country. These courses have included laparoscopic surgery, endoscopic treatment of urinary calculi, urologic oncology, urinary incontinence and surgical technique. The outpatient urological department has grown from 350 patient visits per month in 1976 to over 1,300 visits per month in 2008. Approximately 2,350 urologic surgical procedures per year are performed at LLUMC and its affiliated hospitals.