LLUH PM&R Residency Program - Goals, Objectives, and Research
The principal aim of this residency program is to educate, equip and foster compassionate, growth-minded physicians in the specialty of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, who will be life-long learners and who will contribute significantly to their patients, the field of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and society by providing and promoting excellent whole person care.
- Clinical competence in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation as measured by achievement of graduation target level milestones in the competency areas of Patient Care, Medical Knowledge, Systems-Based Practice, Practice-Based Learning and Improvement, Professionalism, and Interpersonal and Communication Skills, across a spectrum of ages, impairments, and clinical settings, including proficiency with joint, soft tissue and spasticity injections, and electrodiagnostic testing.
- A commitment to compassionate, patient-centered care and development of a framework and skills to address psychosocial and spiritual aspects of a patient's care.
- Development of a growth mindset.
- Development of a framework and skills to regularly use evidence-based research and tools to stay current on the best evidence to guide clinical practice and to deliberately maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- Engagement in meaningful scholarly activity that contributes to the field of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- Participation at national meetings within Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation to obtain exposure to national trends and to lay the foundation for ongoing participation within our field.
All residents must participate in scholarly activity during their residency training. The following are requirements for satisfactory progression in and graduation from the residency program:
a. Completion of human subjects training
b. Satisfactory oral presentation at research day during PGY-4 year
c. Submission of a publishable manuscript by June 1 of PGY-4 year